Saturday, June 14, 2008

Any man can be a father. It takes someone special to be a dad.

I was thinking about all the fathers in my life - the ones I especially appreciate and am thankful for. My Grandfather, Bob Coston, taught me to see nature; birds in trees, turtles and snakes on logs and other wild animals that hid themselves so they would'nt be seen. Old John, a black share cropper was one of his best friends - unheard of in Louisiana in the 40s. He was a loving and gentle man. My father, Harvey Harrison, loved my mother and me more than life itself. He was kind and charming and he let me swing on the trapese upside down (my mother thought that activity might damage something). My husband, Roland Gatlin, was a wonderful father. He knew things most people don't know. He was the smartest person I've ever known. And he was kind and loving and the single worst driver I ever rode with - in the car with him driving is where I learned to really pray.
My sons, Ten Bears and Brady, are terrific fathers. Ten Bears, an outdoorsman, loves taking his son and neices and nephews horse back riding and teaching them about wildlife and geological surprises. Brady has a wisdom and playfulness with his children that is amazing. He is a loving father; very gentle and fair. My son-in-law, Jamie Stephenson, is also a wonderful, fun-loving father and he truly enjoys his children. And Wesley Woods, Deanna's father, is a great dad. He supports Deana in her activities and maintains a close relationship with her and the rest of us. These guys love my grandchildren!

Each of these fine men bring something special and individual into my life and I'm so very fortunate to have them. I love them - each and every one. I hope they have a wonderful Father's Day with ugly shirts, funny socks, soap-on-a-rope and silly, mushy cards.