
While we were on vacation at Siesta Key Kelly just casually mentioned hearing about a book called The Shack from one of her customers. A couple of days after that Holly, Deana, Delaney and I went to the Whole Foods Market then to a Books-a-Million. When we walked in the front door The Shack was on a display stand directly in front of me so I grabbed it. It is a short book and should have only taken me a couple of days to read it but, I didn't want it to end. I stretched out reading time by only allowing myself to read it while I was eating breakfast. This wasn't a really good idea because the story often brought tears, laughter, insight, and creative ideas to mind. So much so that breakfast took an hour or more to finish.
Being a Mormon, albeit inactive in the workings of the LDS church, I know I have been given the most truth I am capable of receiving concerning (among other things) the nature of God. I know Him as kind and wise and loving and often playful. I know that He solves huge chaotic problems in such a way that every person involved benefits from the solution - something we, as humans, cannot seem to do. I also know Jesus Christ; his loving nature and purposes, and his love for us. Sometimes I tend to ignore Him but I always know they are there. This book simply reminded me of how wonderful a relationship with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ is. It reminded me of the truths I hold so dear. I don't normally like the mainstream "Christian" literature and admittedly, The Shack does occasionally get a bit "Protestant preachy". That being said, I loved reading it and I loved more what it reminded me of - My loving, intimate relationship with God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. It is worth reading!


