Monday, August 11, 2008

THE TWO BEST SPORTING EVENTS EVER!




No one would ever accuse me of being an avid sports fan. Not even close. However, I am obsessively watching the Olympics - Particularly the swimming but also the beach vollyball, diving, gymnastics et. al. Last night I watched one of the two best sporting events I have ever seen. It was the men's 4 X 100 freestyle relay. Seeing these 4 athletes do what everyone said was impossible - beat the French team -was amazing. There was only, now get this, .008 of a second difference in first and second place. As much as I like Phelps, Jason Lezak was the hero of that team catching up and beating a swimmer everyone said no-one could beat. If you haven't seen the race be sure and watch it! One of these two links ought to work - just cut and paste.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/share.html?videoid=0811_hd_swb_hl_l0194

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0811_hd_swb_hl_l0194




While I'm at it and since I mentioned two spectacular sporting events - the other one is the 1956 World Series. The New York Yankees beat the Brooklyn Dodgers 4 games to 3. Don Larsen pitched a perfect game (Game 5); Mickey Mantle made a spectacular running catch in game 5; players included Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Mickey Mantle,Roy Campanella, Don Drysdale, Carl Erskine, Pee Wee Reese and Jackie Robinson. It was a wonderfully exciting world series for a young girl just beginning to like sports.